Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Post-Abortion Trauma; Real or Myth?

I can answer this question very quickly; YES IT'S VERY REAL!

 Am I a scientist who has done years of research and has spent a ton of money gaining a lot of different degrees? Nope. Then how can I be so sure that post-abortion trauma is real? Who am I to stand up and speak about such a thing if I don't have those credentials some might ask. Well let me tell you how I am and maybe it will shock you if I said that I have more of a right to speak this truth.

How do I know that post-abortion Trauma is real? Because I have suffered from it for 21 years.

I woke up one morning at 17 weeks pregnant and decided that I needed to have an abortion. I made a few quick phone calls and BOOM, it was done. My child was dead, I was no longer pregnant and I thought that my "problem" was over. I have never been more wrong in my life.

I was able to stuff down what I had done for a few months. I refused to think about it and I moved on with my life. But then one day it hit me like a building had collapsed on me. I could no longer hide behind "my choice" but was faced with reality. Guilt. Shame. Regret. Sadness. Anxiety. So much more that I could not bear.

Now, I should probably stop and explain that I did not have a good childhood. I suffered many things growing up and I learned very early on how to hide my feelings and push things down. I was very good at it. I didn't even let people see me cry.. EVER!  I say this so you understand, I am no "softie". I do not let things get to me. But this monster known as a past abortion was more than I could handle. When I started putting all of my feelings together I realized that it had seeped into every part of my being and was coming out in ways that I didn't even know.

Praise God, I found healing through an amazing group that helped me work through my guilt and shame. I will focus more on that story in another post, but I want you to know that post-abortion trauma is without a doubt real.

Why do people work so hard to try to say that it is a myth? If it is so real then why is it such a big deal to the other side? That is simple. If people admit that post-abortion trauma is real then they have to start admitting that there might be something wrong with this big money-maker. They have to say that it's imagination because if they admit that it's real then it's more than just a "choice" and more than a blob of tissue.

I have suffered from post-abortion trauma and can tell you that it is hell. I have helped many others overcome by the grace of God and have not only experienced it but seen it in countless others. It is time that we take a stand and let the world know that this is a real thing and help those suffering from it to overcome. Our voice is what will help them step out of their shame. It's time to stand!

No comments:

Post a Comment