Saturday, December 22, 2012

Children and Christmas

I've already discussed my family tradition that has been going strong for over 30 years, but I'd like to add a "younger" tradition that has been added to my family. My children have made their own tradition to carry on, which I think is just absolutely precious! I think that traditions are important, and apparently, I've passed that on to my kids and didn't even know it, priceless!
I'm not sure how many years this has gone on, like all good things, it started small and grew to what it is today, but it has been a good number of years. I believe it started with just some television viewing and giggling, to keep themselves from exploding from the excitement of the following morning. Another joy my children have taken from me, we love Christmas!!! It's not the getting, it's the giving. We love to see faces light up as someone opens a gift that was chosen specially for them. It is just so exciting to watch everyone open presents and being so happy and excited. One of my kids, I won't mention which one, literally shakes from the excitement! Christmas morning is just so precious!
The weeks before Christmas are filled with such excitement, as well. All the kids have either saved money, worked for money, or just wanting to "borrow" money because they just can't wait to buy gifts for all of their family. Of course, being such a big family, we don't have much money, so we're not talking extravagant gifts, we usually go to the Dollar Store or Big Lots, because it doesn't really matter the amount, its the idea. We always talk about why we give gifts, how the whole reason of Christmas is because God gave us the best gift of all, Jesus Christ! We give, in remembrance of what He has given us.
Christmas is the whole month of December for my family. The togetherness and the thoughtfulness are precious. However, Christmas Eve means the day is almost here! The kids can no longer take the excitement! So they developed a way to help them. That is where their new tradition starts.
They send themselves to bed early. (What parent can complain about that?) But, of course, they are not "really" going to bed. They all meet in one bedroom, and play games that they have been preparing just for this occasion. The bedroom is, of course, decorated for Christmas. This room has become a Christmas party room just as good as any professional could do; colorful lights, cut out snowflakes all around, and of course, a Christmas tree with gifts underneath. The gifts are for a gift exchange that will come a little later in the evening. After the games and the giggling. Any other night of the year, they are not allowed to take food or drinks in their bedrooms, but for this night, some snacks and water bottles are approved. The children are having so much fun that they almost forget that at any minute, Santa could be leaving gifts for them under our family tree. Almost.
When I go to bed on Christmas Eve, I can hear sweet little "hushes" and giggles in the room. The children pretending to be asleep, because, "mom doesn't know any better". I let them keep their deception. I thought I was getting away with everything when I was a kid, too. I try to get a few hours sleep because I know that at any minute they will be waking me up screaming, "Come on mom, we've waited long enough!!" Christmas morning has arrived!

No comments:

Post a Comment